What Is Christian Science?
Mary Baker Eddy, who discovered and founded Christian Science, defined it as “the law of God, the law of good . . .” (Rudimental Divine Science by Mary Baker Eddy). This universal divine law reveals a deeper understanding of God as infinite Love and unchanging goodness that leads to prayer that can heal, redeem, and restore anyone.
Jesus himself said (John 14:12): “…he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also;…”
These words are a sweet promise that we can still expect transformative, Christian healing today. Christian Scientists take this to heart, not only concerning moral regeneration, but also with respect to physical healing.
Christian Science Practitioners and Nurses
CS Practitioners and CS Nurses are available to give additional supportive care while one is praying for healing. Practitioners offer specific prayer, and Christian Science nurses provide caring, practical, non-medical assistance. To obtain a list of Christian Science Practitioners and Nurses, please visit our Reading Room or go online to ChristianScience.com.
The Christian Science Church is a Christian denomination, with the Bible and especially Jesus’ teachings at the heart and soul of its practice. The Bible together with Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures serve as the universal Pastor for the worldwide Church, providing available guidance and inspiration, as well as sermons and readings for worship services.
The Bible has been loved by generations of readers. They have found guidance and comfort in the courage and spiritual vision of the Old Testament prophets, the inspiring words and works of Christ Jesus, and the ministry of the apostles in the New Testament. For those who have pondered this sacred text, a yearning for a deeper understanding of God grows, along with a desire to find in God, answers to the spectrum of human needs.
The Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, is the foundation for the theology and practice of Christian Science.
In particular, Jesus’ ministry illustrates that healing and regeneration are experienced as we recognize our true nature as spiritual and made in the image and likeness of God. Examples of this can be seen in the biblical accounts of Abraham, Jacob, Moses, the prophets, Jesus, and his immediate disciples and followers.
A life-long student of the Bible, Mary Baker Eddy established Christian Science, as a prayer-based system of healing, on the spiritual laws at the heart of the Scriptures. This is the Science of Christianity anyone can learn and practice. “The Bible has been my only authority,” she wrote, having experienced and proved that it “contains the recipe for all healing.”
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy
Science and Health opens up the Word of the Bible as a divine Science of provable laws that bring healing, redemption, and restoration to individual lives and the wider world. It enriches faith with a deeper understanding of God and how we are inseparable from God’s boundless love.
For over a century, readers have shared how Science and Health has touched their hearts and transformed their lives. Reading this book has resulted in physical healing of both chronic and acute illnesses as well as a renewed sense of joy and purpose. The book’s last 100 pages are letters from some of those readers.
The practice of this system of Christian prayer has resulted in significant cures of physical and mental problems with many accounts available online and in over 100 years of Christian Science periodicals. In Christian Science, God is seen as always upholding health and well-being. The power of prayer lies not in faith alone, but in a deeper understanding of God’s divine laws that embrace humanity and are available to all.
Christian Science churches welcome everyone to attend services and visit our Reading Rooms to learn more about this practical, provable reliance on God for healing of sin and sickness.
Tenets of Christian Science
The Tenets of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientists and its members:
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
Mary Baker Eddy - Science and Health - Page 497